SailNet Community - View Single Post - Modern Hull forms and Motion Comfort
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Modern Hull forms and Motion Comfort

I guess you're right I did paint with too broad a brush and apologize. I was trying to speak to the derivatives of the solo racing boats where weight seem to detract from speed and the placement of that weight may significantly alter performance. Use of cored bulkheads as well as hulls and no expense spared to lessen weight. I understand and have employed manifolds to decrease holes in the hull due to resultant increase in drag from thro hulls and deployed inward distortion of the hull aft of large hull holes ( e.g. bow thruster) in the same attempt but I cruise not race so remain enamoured of carrying significant "excess baggage". I wonder if inside that paradigm of cruising designs derived from current racing designs there is a physical limit or significant restriction due to the design elements . Kind of like when you are on a trawler fishing or a deep vee center console there is no question the trawler is more likely to have greater comfort at rest and probably in motion even if both designs are well executed using computer assisted design. I understand for the working elements ( reaching and spinnaker poles etc) excess weight is the enemy of safety and ease of working the boat But I was in my obstruse way trying to answer a more fundamental question. I was also trying to ask if the same applies to the modern "slice of pie" hull shape. Kind of like there a limit to an aircooled engine v. watercooled. Does the basic design elements limit the comfort one can achieve even in best hands? Paulo I was asking a question. Though it was obvious it wasa questoneven in absence of "?"

p.s.- grandkids always steal your heart- have too much fun- Bob I still think you're up there with N.H. a few others. Your designs are classics and the new ketch is a thing of beauty. Sliver should go to wind like a bat out of hell. You seem to design boats that work and are still art forms.

Last edited by outbound; 04-09-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook