SailNet Community - View Single Post - Kanberra gel
Thread: Kanberra gel
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013

joebeach is on a distinguished road
Re: Kanberra gel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I put a container directly into each AC air handler. Works great. It doesn't need stagnant air, it just stands to reason that you wouldn't want to ventilate it back out of the boat or it would never settle on anything. If the duct work is all that concerns you, it seems a stash in there would do the job.
Has anyone who lives in a humid climate tried Kanberra Gel, or a related tea-oil based (or other effective) product, to fight moldy smells in a house? For example, by putting some of it in or near HVAC airhandlers or in ductwork?

Background - the former owner of my Florida house didn't believe in AC, and never or rarely ran (or repaired) her ancient HVAC system. While I swapped that out for a new system and some supplementary ductwork first thing (2 years ago), and have since had the all the ducts cleaned by a reputable company, I still notice a mildly moldy smell when coming in from having been out all day, especially in summer.

Not a huge issue, but if this Kanberra stuff can keep mold out of a boat, why not any enclosed space? Thoughts?