SailNet Community - View Single Post - Starting a business?
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013

Mandavel is on a distinguished road
Re: Starting a business?

Okay, all excellent points to consider.

Now, my responses and further questions:

Thanks Yam, I'll look into all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
To provide a meaningful answer I would need more information and to some extent the best choice depends on what else you wanted to use the boat for. For example:

Are you just using the boat for charters or are you living aboard?

In a good year, the charter season in Annapolis is roughly late April until early October. What are your plans for the boat off-season?

Do you plan to do over nights or just day sails?

What is your budget?

What attracted you to the Baba in the first place?

Jeff
Ideally I would plan on living aboard whilst running the business out of the same boat, as I really would rather not have to throw money into a landborne home while I have a perfectly good boat right there. I can certainly keep my small amount of things hidden and stowed to keep the boat nice and tidy.

I honestly had put little thought into off-season, but I have considered sailing to a different place that has a sunny winter. Where, no idea yet. Caribbean? although I assume the competition there is even more fierce and work scarce. Any ideas?

At this point I'd be willing to do overnights, day trips, anything that will generate income. I would have a lot of time to commit to this. Again, ideas for more forms of work?

Honestly I liked the interior of the 1984 baba to begin with. It looks homey and comfortable, and assuming I'm anything like customers, I figured it would appeal to them as well. I will admit that I knew not of the issues described. I've seen good reviews of it from owners and non-owners.

I wasn't aware that serving meals and whatnot was of importance. I have a good chef friend I'd be willing to take along to handle the passenger deal, and I have done a lot of restaurant work myself and am very good in customer service.

I am currently doing research into competitive services, worry not my friend.

But please, keep the critiques and ideas coming, this is giving me a lot to glue together.

What else is out there for a singular boat to draw income with?

Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook