SailNet Community - View Single Post - Modern Hull forms and Motion Comfort
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013
Always tired

One is on a distinguished road
Re: Modern Hull forms and Motion Comfort

In my experience, even old boats benefit from having excess weight removed. In other words, I think that regardless of the boat you have, paying attention to weight makes a difference.

Outbound, you mentioned cruisers, and I have to say that cruisers (broad brush, I know) tend to keep loading stuff on board. Yes, that included that 300' of chain rode, several heavy anchors, all in the name of "safety". But, to me - and this is solely my opinion - if you overload a boat, that may mean less safety in the real world. And the extra weight in the fo'c's'le for that 300' of chain may well mean submarining in heavy seas - something most old designs weren't designed for. I also question carrying anything and everything with you (diving equipment, compressors, generators, huge amounts of tools, two dinghies, welding equipment) and what else people carry on even small boats, thinking that it's okay, it's an old, stout boat and it weighs a lot empty.

Obviously, that's a broad brush. A old fishing vessel will obviously be able to carry more safely, but a narrow one with fine stem and stern will not be able to carry much, especially at the ends.

Last edited by One; 04-10-2013 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Added a bit
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook