Thread: Ditch bag
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Ditch bag

HardTAC's list is good.

Some thoughts:

Landfall Navigation has a great waterproof ditch bag with 100 lbs of flotation.

I have a charging station next to the companionway for VHF radios and phones. The EPIRB is mounted on the other side of the companionway. The ditch bag sits under the companionway ladder with our shoe basket and snack bag. There is a large first aid kit on a mount forward of the nav station (a couple of feet from the companionway ladder) in addition to our regular use kit in the head.

I have a big flare kit in the cockpit locker.

My life raft includes flares, strobe, whistles, food, water, flashlight, signal mirror, and small first aid kit.

Knives are in pockets. PLBs (for those that have them) are on PFDs.

The ditch bag gets originals of the ship's document, passports, current zarpe, and prescriptions. Also spare eyeglasses and copies of glasses prescriptions, spare batteries and the handheld VHF disposable battery tray, additional flashlights, and handheld GPS. There are also a couple of space blankets. I fill up any additional space with water. Documents are either vacuum sealed or in a Ziploc bag.

I usually stick my portable shortwave radio in the ditch bag.

I like the fishing kit idea.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook