SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lets choose SmackDaddy's new boat...
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Re: Lets choose SmackDaddy's new boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post

Remind me again, What makes the 40.7 such a wonderful boat? All kidding aside, the 40.7 was on our short list. Didn't they make a two stateroom version?
That particular 40.7 is the poster child for low waters and the need for dredging here in the Great Lakes. She ran aground on a shoal off the Portage Lake channel when trying to duck in from the weather on the return trip of a Mac Race. Apparently the waves beat her up until she sprung a leak.

Smack - Sounds like the Hunter 40 would suit your needs well. I've sailed and raced aboard a 92' Legend 375 wing keel and was impressed with both the accommodations and sailing ability. I wouldn't hesitate to own one as a coastal cruiser if you're looking for decent speed and a comfy basement.

Have you looked at the Pearson 36-2 & 39-2? Both are late-80's boats with a good turn of speed and very roomy cabin. I think the 36 PHRF's at ~126 and I assume the 39 does even better. I've been aboard a couple of them on the hard recently and think they are fairly well put together, considering the price point. Perhaps a half step above the Hunters/Catalinas of the same era? Shaw's design is no-nonsense and sails well, so I'm told.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook