SailNet Community - View Single Post - Yanmar 2QM15: How can I keep it running forever?
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Yanmar 2QM15: How can I keep it running forever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty123 View Post
Thanks for the detailed description, Casey - that sounds easy enough. My intake hose already has a "Y" fitting like you describe, so all I need is a bucket and hose. I could use quick fittings (like air hoses), which would make the connections super easy.

Still thinking about the FWC conversion though. Maybe I'll pull the head and exhaust manifold this winter and see what the insides look like. If its anything like the outside (like new), I might pull the trigger on the conversion. But if things look pretty far gone, my money is probably better spent elsewhere (like savings towards a repower). I'd sure like to keep this baby running - it's basically perfect for the application (and already paid for).
I thought about doing a fresh water cooling conversion on mine also- in same boat as you- engine good for the application and would be expensive to repower.

One thing I considered in fresh water conversion is that an additional belt and pump is added to the engine- somthing more to maintain and break. This just increases the probablility of failure. Although it may make the engine last longer. I have opened up my engine to get to the zincs and thermostat, and was surprised that there was no corrosion. I spoke with a mechanic and he said these engines use good materials to prevent corrosion. Where as an off the shelf fresh water cooled engine would not be made to this level, as it was not designed to be used as salt water cooled. I figure I could probably get 20 years or more out of my 1980 model Yanmar, by that time she will probably be worn out or too hard to obtain spare parts for and I will need to repower.

Also, a leak in the fresh water cooling will mean you need to carry anti freeze and water. A big leak you may be forced to cool the engine with sea water. A raw water cooled engine does not have this problem- you have an ocean full of cooling water available.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook