SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tea Tree Oil--Any credible 3rd party testing as area biostat?
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Tea Tree Oil--Any credible 3rd party testing as area biostat?

I've seen many anecdotal reports. The problems with these, no matter how well intentioned, is that they are not controlled:

* The person cleaned the boat, fixed some leaks, and sure enough, the mildew is gone.
* The odor wasn't mildew; it was the head, bilge, or some other source. The tea tree oil did make the odor go, which has value, but is not the same thing.
* I've read EPA and other studies that suggest that even dirrect liquid application of dilluted oil may have limited effectiveness and only create resistant bugs.

I've done some controlled testing, and if there is an affect, it must be subtle. My conditions my be too severe, while on the other hand I am using a smallish container that would concentrate the vapors (you wouldn't enjoy breathing it for long). Some sprayed liquid products are working very well (Concrobium--a TSP/baking soda/washing soda blend, washing soda/borax blend, other commercial anti-mold).

I find myself suspecting that anything that is strong enough to work will not be something you can live with. Additionally, we actively vent boats to control reduce moisture, removing any vapors. Nice smelling perhaps, but actually a bio-stat in a marine environment? Actual performance is difficult to measure, while spray-applied products have been proven.

Please share anything quantitative and controlled. I've seen HVAC data, but that focuses on metal ducts.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pdqaltair; 04-10-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook