SailNet Community - View Single Post - Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Minne,
If the damage was as a result of an accident, regardless of who was at the helm, my insurance will cover the repairs (or total the boat) because I have comprehensive coverage in addition to collision coverage. If there was an accident while the captain was at the helm, the insurance company may be able to go after him/his insurance for subrogation. My policy, and this may vary from insurer to insurer, says that if the damage was due to improperly/poorly maintained equipment, rather than a true "accident", then that won't be covered by my insurance.

What gets hairy here is that they wrote the policy and relied on a survey that said that the boat was in generally servicable condition. Aside from the "sea trial" when we moved the boat (in heavy headwinds) from the slip to the travellift, I have yet to be aboard the boat when she was away from the dock, and I have yet to take control of the boat in any way. She was moved by the surveyor to the lift and then blocked because I wanted the bottom painted. The marina moved her back to the slip. The captain moved her from Deltaville to Pasadena, and TowBoatUS moved her from Pasadena to Rock Hall.

I got my insurance through an agent. I'm waiting to see how things go, and may enlist their aid - we have two cars, three boats, and a home all insured through them.

Chuck, apparently many insured have "stuck" the insurance company with the costs associated with this kind of work. I had to sign something saying that I understood that if there wasn't an accident, they weren't responsible for the costs (which is consistent with my insurance policy).
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook