SailNet Community - View Single Post - O'Day DS or Flying Scot?
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013

Letrappes is on a distinguished road
Stumble seems to have no idea about flying Scots. I guess he sailed one once. I couldn't disagree with him any more. The only fleet I generally find active in most areas are the flying Scots. Good luck finding a viper 640 out there. Since the original builder abandoned them they have been straight downhill.

The Scots are an old design but are raced heavily up and down the east coast and the gulf. It was the only active travelling fleet with real numbers in the Carolinas. I never once saw more than one viper at a big multi class regatta except in south Florida and the maybe five they get for Charleston race week. If you are looking for racing, skip the viper.

I also have sailed in many different classes and the Scots are the only one where I can go to a big event and find multiple sailmakers such as North, Ullman, Madd, Schurr and Dieball all having their pros racing at the same time with the rest of us.

I will say the boat is heavy but my boat from 1973 still races even with the brand new boats. That's another problem the viper has. After three years of racing they are too soft to compete with the new boat. It's actually hilarious catching up to vipers at the windward mark when they were the fleet starting ahead of us on rolling starts.

I know the GYA is ditching the Scot but the GYA is pretty much gone anyway so who cares what they do. Read the report from the clubs on what they want and tell me if you can find a boat that fits their wants that actually has more than five built and is under their limit of $25k. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook