SailNet Community - View Single Post - Painting right over gelcoat, no sanding necessary
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Painting right over gelcoat, no sanding necessary

I recently took part in a work party on the (25 year old) boat I race on, and the owner decided to paint certain areas of the deck. All we did was basically scrub it down well, then rub in "wil-bond", then went directly to rolling on primer (I think 545 was the primer not sure though).

I did not realize you can simply paint over gel coat, I thought you had to remove it.

The gel coat on my deck (my own 30 year old boat) is pretty porous, though the gel coat on the hull is still shiny. There is some crazing but nothing major.

I have been contemplating re-painting my boat for years, but I thought it would require a ton of sanding and just wouldn't be worth the amount of time necessary. I am not seeking a top-notch professional job, but rather one good enough not to effect resale value negatively.

Has anyone else heard of not sanding, just using surface preparation/de-glosser on the gelcoat then painting right over that with epoxy based primer?

If so, should I try and fill the minor crazing that exists with epoxy and filler prior to painting? Maybe sand the crazing only? I feel like the cracks are so small that filler won't fit in...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook