SailNet Community - View Single Post - Modern Hull forms and Motion Comfort
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Modern Hull forms and Motion Comfort

I know the Outbounds reasonably well. I am a big fan of the late Carl Schumacher's work. And while I only knew him only peripherally, I was devasted at his loss, especially coming so close in time with Mark Soverel's passing, and all three of us being the same age. He was a very talented designer.

To mix metaphors and references, I once read a description of Nat Herreshoff that said something like Nat could visualize the way that every molecule of water moved past a hull. There was also a terribly un-PC quote that described some peice of music some by an early 1960's cross-over soul-singer as having a beat that even a white guy could find.

Carl could draw a hull that even a dilettante yacht design groupie like me could visualize every molecule of water moving past its hull. I have always liked his Express 37 and loved his Lightwave 395.

As much as I like the Outbounds, and I understand that all boats are a compromise, they were somewhat tamed from what I might have wanted to see from Carl. I really like the new deck that Bob drew for the boat.

It adds a lot to the boat. I think its a shame that they did not develop a fractional rig for the boat when they were updating the deck plan. This would be such an easier boat to handle with a fractional rig.

This is one of those boats that I have a love hate emotion towards. At 28,000 lbs, it was my understanding that they were nearly 6,000 heavier than originally intended.

At least one of the boats that showed up in Annapolis got a very strange custom interior layout that never made any sense to me, being neither an offshore friendly layout, or a good live aboard, or comfortable for coastal cruising either.

Outbound also made some questionable cost-cutting decisions for a serious cruising boat, the worst offense being going with an encapsulated keel which maybe fine for coastal cruising near boatyards, but which has no place on a long range cruiser. Compounding that dubious move, I cannot imagine a good technical solution to adding a bulb to an encasulated keel. Combined these would be a deal killer if I was in that price bracket and going cruising to places where there wasn't a boat yard around every corner.

But my gripes with the Outbounds are mostly details reflecting my own tastes and preferences. They are certainly nice boats and would make a lovely way to go voyaging.

Respectfully,

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook