SailNet Community - View Single Post - Modern Hull forms and Motion Comfort
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Re: Modern Hull forms and Motion Comfort

"Outbound also made some questionable cost-cutting decisions for a serious cruising boat, the worst offense being going with an encapsulated keel which maybe fine for coastal cruising near boatyards, but which has no place on a long range cruiser. Compounding that dubious move, I cannot imagine a good technical solution to adding a bulb to an encasulated keel. Combined these would be a deal killer if I was in that price bracket and going cruising to places where there wasn't a boat yard around every corner. "

This whole paragraph I take issue with. Providing that the boat has not had a serious grounding and been badly repaired, what maintenance issues am I likely to encounter with my encapsulated keel that would require staying close to boatyards? Am I likely to suffer a grounding within the deep ocean?

I know of instances where keel bolts have failed, but of none where encapsulated keels on sound boats have spontaneously fallen off.

If you read "Heavy Weather Sailing" and it's excellent analysis of the features in sailboats that have performed well in storms, they found little relationship between storm survival and keel type.

Last edited by MarkSF; 04-10-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook