SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hello from Botswana
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Hello from Botswana

I think I linked to the wrong boat in my last post.
The "Tera" seems more like a slightly smaller version of a Laser which is a good platform for learning, in my opinion.
Yacht club programs over here get very young kids sailing Optimists. Kids as young as 6 - 8 years old. Often it is the parents who want their kids to learn to sail rather than the kids themselves wanting to learn.
I am still a fan of the Sunfish as it is extremely simple to rig and sail and have fun with. A boat like this might be good for your idea of getting underprivileged kids sailing as they can be bought used for fairly little money (maybe in SA?).

I'm still amazed that you have water to sail on in Botswana near the Kalahari desert. I guess there is a hydro/electric dam on the river there?
Rra, I really enjoyed the Mma Ramotswe/Mma Makutsi stories and I am glad to hear that you think McCall Smith portrayed life in Botswana accurately. I have not seen the cook book yet but you have encouraged me to do so.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook