SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tea Tree Oil--Any credible 3rd party testing as area biostat?
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Re: Tea Tree Oil--Any credible 3rd party testing as area biostat?

I'm sorry if I irritate anyone when I dismiss anecdotal evidence. It is useful in developing a thesis and checking reasonableness. But scientific method is like that; any time I start any sort of testing, whether in my real life or this hobby, the first thing I MUST do is isolate all opinions I may hold at the start. Often I'm most pleased when my favorite product--or at least the product I expected to do well--doesn't; it means I was not reporting my preconceived notions and perhaps that the method was sufficiently blind and well controlled.

No, I have not done enough testing to say it is a deception and I should not have implied that; it's a forum post, not an article. In fact, I think it makes good sense, based upon some literature data related to HVAC. The dosing rates even seem about comparable, somewhere in the low ppm range. I am certain it is orders of magnitude less effective than direct applied treatments and thus would be used in combination.

The web site doesn't direct the reader to useful data--I had to find that elsewhere. They do show this experiment:
http://www.kanberragel.com/downloads...Experiment.pdf
But clearly the dose is perhaps 5000 times higher that actual use (2 quarts vs 20,000 ft3 of air flow over 45 days). I've done some testing with much larger volumes, and as a result I've come to suspect the dose rate is very sensitive to the amount of absorbent material (carpet, upholstery) present.

I'm just saying it's complicated and not easy to model. I've got a cat (completely identical staterooms) so some side-by-side testing will start very soon. The main problem is that under dry, clean conditions mildew doesn't grow, so how do you test fairly, without exaggerating something unfairly? The challenge with many marine items--anchors, fuel additives, holding tanks--is that the issues vary so much from one boat to another. I was swapping tips with another PDQ owner 2 days ago, and though our boats are very similar, his fuel and holding tank issues are very different because of minor design differences. Most often there is not one answer, only trends and some discussion of the theory and our observations.

I have a number of essential oil and chemical products to look at. I'm not sure where this is headed just yet. Just gathering information.

For what it's worth, I can't guess why using vinegar would help; directly applied to a surface the low pH will be fatal, but most molds like slightly lowered (acid) pH and vinegar in a pot would only encourage that.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook