SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chicago to South Manitou Island
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Chicago to South Manitou Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whovian58 View Post
Fantastic. Thank you, wuffiesails.

If there are any Chicagoans around: out of curiosity, what would you consider the best/worst aspects of sailing Lake Michigan?
Worst!, The winds can be flukey and on your little run from Chicago to South Manitou it is possible to be becalmed for a day or more sitting in the same spot for hours, we don't always have predictable winds. When it blows it can blow hard and when it doesn't, it doesn't.

More worst! when the winds don't blow and you are becalmed, you can rest assured that you will be attacked by biting black flies, blood sucking hungry, biting flies that hurt like hell when they stick you with that damned stinger and draw. I mean until you experience a swarm of black flies in the middle of the lake, you will never understand it. Hundreds, thousands of hungry biting horse flies in the MIDDLE of the damned lake! Miles from anything!
There is nothing I have experienced that can make a day on the water less enjoyable.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook