SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bad yacht accident: two dead (one rescuer)
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Bad yacht accident: two dead (one rescuer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
The rescue was attempted by two boats in the middle of 5 meter breakers. One of the rescue boats capsized.

It is not clear what happened but when the rescuers arrived the sailboat had the mast broken and was on the breaking zone.
It's never good to hear about yachts being lost whilst running bars and even worse when people die because of it.

Paulo, what I don't understand is, if the boat was in the breaking zone and heading for the beach, why on earth did two (not one - but two!) rescue boats head out in 5 metre breakers to get them? Apart from "hero" status, what were they hoping to achieve?? Surely all the rescuers needed to do was to wait on the beach and tell the people on board to don lifejackets??

Can you explain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I cannot understand how someone try to enter that bar with bad weather. It is plain dangerous. Surely they saw the breakers: It was still daylight (17.00).
I can understand how someone might try to enter a bar in bad weather - and I'm sure you can too. It isn't always that easy to see the breakers from the ocean - and people don't like spending the night at sea, even in a modern plastic boat, when all their friends are telling them they should be in harbour for dinner and drinks at the Yacht Club... Staying out at sea is for old wooden boats and salt-encrusted sailors.

Last edited by Classic30; 04-11-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook