SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bad yacht accident: two dead (one rescuer)
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Bad yacht accident: two dead (one rescuer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allio View Post
I'm going to go ahead and say it;s these guys

MERI TUULI on Tour

Feel bad for the guys. Does the surf on that beech get bad? Is there a bad rip? from years of surfing I would have thought from the image and video that that beach would have been pretty innocuous even if MOB even in relatively big surf....
The problem and waves are not at the beach but on the river bar. The boat was washed to the beach after having being capsized, lost the mast and probably the engine after attempting to pass the river bar.

Believe me, if the bar was closed to boats with less than 35 m the conditions were bad. There are lots of fishermen there, all with smaller boats (than 35m) and they hate not being able to come back home. That is the second closing of the bar. I mean first they close it to boats with less than 11 m and on those conditions I have seen 3m breakers there. Even with the bar closed only to boats smaller than 11m, depending on the tide, it is risky to attempting it with a sailboat with a small engine. That is intended mostly for fishermen boats that had very powerful engines and can pick better the time of crossing and do it a lot more quickly.

One of the problems here is the foreigners feeling that locals are a bit exaggerating when they say the ports are closed, After all the conditions don't look that bad

This is a dangerous coast. Most yacht don't go out on winter and each winter fishermen lose their live along it and they know what they are doing.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook