SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ever been injured on your boat? Just happened to me.
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Ever been injured on your boat? Just happened to me.

As you've all figured out, there are plenty of trip hazards, moving parts and lines to get caught up in, and injured by. One can only imagine the kinds of injuries our ancestors suffered, before the advent of safety equipment and safety culture.

Here are some tips that may help avoid injuries in the future:

1. Knives- Knives are a prevelant part of sailing. When cutting, always cut so that the blade edge is pointed AWAY from you, so that when you finally cut through, the blade jerks away from your body instead of into it.

2. Lines: Never put a body part in between a line and a hard object.
When sweating sheets, grasp the line with your thumbs pointed at your chest. If you get overloaded, and the sheet runs, your digits won't get sucked into any hardware that way.

3. Gloves: Don't be macho, especially on larger boats. Don't let your crew be macho either. Wear the damn gloves.

4. Deck operations: (Setting aside all discussion of tethers and jacklines) Stay low while moving, and while working, wherever it's practical. One hand for you, one hand for the boat.

I'd be interested in hearing some common sense safety for windlass operations because I'm not equipped with one, and my windlass safety knowledge is limited. Anyone?
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook