SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tea Tree Oil--Any credible 3rd party testing as area biostat?
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Tea Tree Oil--Any credible 3rd party testing as area biostat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
... but only if you have sufficient air movement for the product to make it around, but not so much that you are just ventilating it out of the cabin.
Air circulation is critical to a fair smelling boat. The previous owner installed dorades and a solar fan on our boat and the air movement makes a big difference. At least I notice less mustiness on our boat than other similar boats without them.

Other key sources of odors: old musty cushions (replace), a dirty engine (wash it down with de-greaser, fix fuel/oil leaks), bilge water (dripless shaft seal) and head odors.

I have a wife with a sensitive nose so I've spent a lot of time chasing odors , and while it's anecdotal I've found Kanberra gel to make a big difference. That said I wouldn't mind knowing how it works and if there really is something to their blend or if cheaper varieties work as well.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White

Last edited by JimMcGee; 04-11-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook