SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ever been injured on your boat? Just happened to me.
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013

nkamper is on a distinguished road
Re: Ever been injured on your boat? Just happened to me.

We just took our maiden voyage, from Galesville MD to Willoughby Harbor Marina VA. It was a delightful 3-day rough-weather trip. Upon arrival to our new "home", we had a series of unfortunate events that resulted in a broken leg for me. First was a mechanical failure, where the cables for the shift/throttle go through a plastic clamp that broke, coupling the two. This resulted in a forward acceleration when trying to shift into reverse, as we were pulling into a tightish marina. We attempted a u-turn but were going too fast. I was on the bow fending off, when the wind (which had been in our faces for *3* days!) came up behind and spun us around, trapping my leg. I saved both boats from contact! I had my tibia rebuilt with a plate and bone graft 2 weeks ago, now I have 6 more weeks on crutches before I can sail again. Many lessons here. 1. we could/should have checked out reverse while we were still out in open enough water to do a 360 or two to slow way down. 2. plastic piece replaced by cast aluminum, and is on the annual pm "checklist" 3. now there is a bumper on the bow to use for fending off-no more body parts! Any other input/suggestions from you experienced folks would be much appreciated! This sucks! (and hurts!) Bottom line: In any event of something unusual, back off, take your time, and think through the options ahead of time rather than having to react quickly.

Last edited by nkamper; 04-11-2013 at 09:27 AM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook