SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bay sailor needed - Deale to Quantico, VA
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Bay sailor needed - Deale to Quantico, VA

It's a little too far for me, unfortunately, or I'd give it strong consideration.

In looking at your plans, I'm surprised by how short you're keeping your days. It seems to me that you could do this in 3 days, rather than 4, which would likely get you more crew.

Now, mind you, I have less over all experience than you, so take my comments with a grain of salt. But I'd consider leaving that first day and pushing on to St. Mary's (60 miles), rather than Solomons. Colonial Beach should be reachable easily the 2nd day (32 miles (or push on to Aquia if the conditions are good)), and then on to Quantico (33 miles from Colonial Beach). Even if you stop in Solomons, rather than St. Mary's, it seems to me that Colonial Beach should be reachable the 2nd day.

One thing to consider as you're planning this is the time it will take to get your crew from Quantico back to Deale, and then for you to get home from Deale. If your last day ends late, you'll have a tired crew who may still have a decent drive to get home, and who have to get up for work the next day. I'd suggest pushing hard the first day, and if you can, the 2nd, and then having a nice, short day for the last day so you can handle the rest of the logistics. But that's just my suggestion.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook