SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ever been injured on your boat? Just happened to me.
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road
Re: Ever been injured on your boat? Just happened to me.

I have often said "If I'm not bleeding, I'm not sailing." I get so many small injuries it's ridiculous. Some of it from single handing in wild conditions, some of it from not paying attention at other times. The most frequent and most frustrating injury occurs when bolting up the companionway steps too quickly, and not leaning forward. I am just tall enough that I smack my big bald head on the bottom grip of the slider about three times a season. It invariably takes a chunk out of my head the size of a quarter. One of these days I will learn, but apparently not quick enough. The last time was earlier this winter as I was leaving the boat with a large plywood panel that I had test fitted and was taking back to the woodshop for a trim. I hit the slider so hard I saw stars like a Looney Toons character, but also heard a disturbing "clack" sound in my neck. I stood there for a moment, dazed, and waited to see if I had paralyzed myself or not. No paralysis, but a big ding on my head for 10 days.

I used to have the same problem with my cheapie backyard steel shed. The doorway is apparently exactly 6 feet tall. So am I.