SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bay sailor needed - Deale to Quantico, VA
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Bay sailor needed - Deale to Quantico, VA

I second Bubblehead's comment. You do not need radar or AIS, either on the Bay or offshore. Traditional watchkeeping has worked for centuries.

If you go solo, it makes sense to anchor. With crew, I would keep going, leaving after work on the first day, if you arrive during the night the next day or two, sleep on the boat. It all depends on how much motoring you want to do. Otherwise, who wants to anchor?

I too raced overnight on the Solomon's Invitational, back in 1993. Soaking wet on the rail, without any sleep, I decided I liked cruising better. But, you can make the trip comfortably with 4 hr. shifts. This is a good way for you and some other eager Sailnetters to get some night sailing experience. In the Spring, you should actually have some wind for a change.

We read these ridiculous posts from newbies who want to buy their first boat and sail across the Atlantic immediately and they do not even realize that will mean sailing at night and keeping watch. You have to have your sail handling and boat handling skills down pat to sail well at night - it is a good exercise. Hard to get into too much trouble on the Bay, as long as you stay out of the way of the ships and don't hit any stationary objects.

The fuel loading dock just north of Cove Point is amazing when lit up at night and you will be able to see flying objects leaving from Patuxent air station, as I did when I arrived in Solomons Island last summer at 1 a.m. Should be a fun trip!

Last edited by jameswilson29; 04-12-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook