SailNet Community - View Single Post - I met Reid Stowe
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Re: I met Reid Stowe

we were pretty hard on him over at SA throughout, with a dedication by some that bordered on unhealthy.

But that said, Reid was a self-promoter and "loud weird" (just as is the song), and it seemed we could stand either but not both. he didn't help his cause by failing to notice until afterwards a Maersk containership a few nights out of New York that took his bowsprit , and by taking the poor unsuspecting and non-sailing Soanya along and treating her seasickness by getting her pregnant, necessitating her debarking off South Africa.

And the ANN was a cement dog, even more so without headsails, making 2 knots around much of the world. I give him credit for endurance and not cracking up mentally much worse than when he started, but there weren't too many seamanship lessons enroute, at least not good ones, other than how to mend sails for three years.

Is it an interesting story? Potentially. But not so far, at least to most sailors who followed it. Humble and self-effacing, he's not. Nothing wrong with that, but I'd have liked him better if he were (e.g. Matt Rutherford on the Albin Vega around the western hemisphere).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook