SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI to Annapolis
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: BVI to Annapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvi767 View Post
Everything has to come to a end and after 25 years of sailing in the BVI its time for a change. I am moving my boat from the BVI back to the US. It will go to Annapolis initially and then perhaps to the Bahamas for the winter. I have sailed various boats around many of the Caribbean islands but this will be a 1200 mile open water sail. Not quite the same as SXM to the BVI.
If anyone has made the sail from STT to the US mid atlantic I would love to hear of your experience and any advice you might have. There are lots of options and considerations. We will be leaving around 24 April.
Should we go just N of the Bahamas and pick up the gulf stream boost? Should we go direct for the shortest distance. Should we go to Bermuda and visit for a day or two and then head across?
Is there any essential equipment you wished you had or were glad you had onboard? I will have 3 GPS units, stocked ditch bag, satphone ect.. How did you handle sailing and night and set up watches? Did you use a professional weather planner or wing it? How long did the transit take and what type boat did you use. This will be on a 45 foot cat that makes good speed.
Any and all advice will be appreciated!!!
It will be a great trip either the direct or the scenic routes. Knowing you have sailed your boat for 25 years, I am sure you will be fine. Recheck your riggings and all critical components, carry your common sense and check weather window, and GO.

If you want to add more comfort in your head, get an experienced crew with you, so you can sleep nite.

Good luck, and the crab cake is waiting for you. If hot crabs and cold beers are your thing, there are plenty when you arrive too. LOL

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook