SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013

polaris2.11 is on a distinguished road
Re: What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?

ok, I achieved my first BHM worth reporting in this august company last weekend. Motoring into a creek to anchor up for the night up a narrow, but well marked, channel leading to a boat ramp. Beyond the boat ramp was a campground and a small beach. Near the beach, I saw two buoys in a line perpindicular to the shoreline. These sure looked like 'no wake' buoys to me and, with the beach and all, I just assumed... and proceeded to slowly motor between them.

Turns out the buoys marked the stumps of an old pier - just barely submerged. Somehow, we managed to only hit one of the stumps (there were a lot) and fortunately I had slowed to 1-2 knots. So, she's still afloat, but I have yet to haul her and check the bottom. Plan for that this coming weekend. She's a trailer sailor, so easy to do.

The next morning, the water was down a foot or so, and we could see how lucky we were to only have hit one of the stumps. Sure felt like a bonehead.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook