SailNet Community - View Single Post - What strategy do you employ when using a drogue
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
What strategy do you employ when using a drogue

Last year while sailing through Yucatan Channel near Cuba, we were practically surfing down the waves doing 11.5 kn for the whole night. While it was fun and I had a great time being tossed in every direction. In reality, I would like to more control of the boat.

Fast forward to the up coming trip to Panama City (Canal). After eying at the weather for 2 weeks, it is likely that we will have some serious wind and swell from behind. This time the boat is equipped with a drogue. When condition is called for, we will get it ready.

Thinking about make a bridle and using a cow hitch to attach the drogue. Here are the questions:

1. Is there any advantage of having different length of the bridle to minimize the wave motion?

2. Should I sail directly away from the wind and perpendicular away from the wave, or I should sail a bit off either port or standard?

I have not sat down to draw out a few diagrams in different scenarios yet to make my decision. However, if you have done this know the right approach, please share or post a link.

3. In the past, I always sail with a tiny furled main if I have to, but this time we have a storm jib, should I use the storm jib and no main? Pls note, wind is behind us.

TIA

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook