SailNet Community - View Single Post - What strategy do you employ when using a drogue
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 04-11-2013 Thread Starter
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送
What strategy do you employ when using a drogue

Last year while sailing through Yucatan Channel near Cuba, we were practically surfing down the waves doing 11.5 kn for the whole night. While it was fun and I had a great time being tossed in every direction. In reality, I would like to more control of the boat.

Fast forward to the up coming trip to Panama City (Canal). After eying at the weather for 2 weeks, it is likely that we will have some serious wind and swell from behind. This time the boat is equipped with a drogue. When condition is called for, we will get it ready.

Thinking about make a bridle and using a cow hitch to attach the drogue. Here are the questions:

1. Is there any advantage of having different length of the bridle to minimize the wave motion?

2. Should I sail directly away from the wind and perpendicular away from the wave, or I should sail a bit off either port or standard?

I have not sat down to draw out a few diagrams in different scenarios yet to make my decision. However, if you have done this know the right approach, please share or post a link.

3. In the past, I always sail with a tiny furled main if I have to, but this time we have a storm jib, should I use the storm jib and no main? Pls note, wind is behind us.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome