SailNet Community - View Single Post - attaching wood furring strips to inside of hull
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: attaching wood furring strips to inside of hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbogart View Post
Maybe a stupid question but I'm getting ready to work on a similar project down below what thickness should the furring strips be or is that more a matter of ionsulation needed and bending ability of the furring strip?
The thickness will depend on the insulation you want to add and the 'elbow room' you're willing to give up. A full inch would be as much as you'd need, I'd think, but that can encroach into the space more than you might like. I used 1/2 inch with 1/2" closed cell foam panels glued in place in between, with the battens onto that. We gained a lot of room because all that replaced a 2" thick cushion.

As for bending, the strips can be kerf-cut to facilitate that if they are not flexible enough as they are. Kerf cutting also makes keeping them in place as it cures a bit easier..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook