SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bad yacht accident: two dead (one rescuer)
View Single Post
post #26 of Old 04-11-2013
Once known as Hartley18
Re: Bad yacht accident: two dead (one rescuer)

Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Hartley, you are not making much sense. We know what happened there. there is witnesses and the report of the rescuers. On that movie a witness described the accident.
Paulo, I didn't see the movie and do not speak Portugese - thank you for filling in the details. I had the impression from reading the posts here that the accident happened during the crossing of a closed bar to get into harbour before dark. If the boat was in trouble before they crossed the bar a long way from the harbour entrance, I can understand why the rescuers took the action they did. I misunderstood what happened... my bad.

Thank you for answering my original question about why they sent two boats. I certainly have never intended to imply the rescuers did anything wrong in this case, I am simply trying to understand why one of the rescuers died. As I said, if something like that happened over here there would be a major enquiry into the management of the incident to understand what went wrong. Perhaps the RIB was not a suitable rescue vessel for the conditions?!? I do not know..

I assume the sea conditions were a lot worse at the time of the accident because they do not seem dangerous to me - I have seen worse. If you never get conditions that are considered too dangerous to life to send rescue teams as soon as they are called you are very fortunate indeed.

"Honestly, I don't know why seamen persist in getting wrecked in some of the outlandish places they do, when they can do it in a nice place like Fiji." -- John Caldwell, "Desperate Voyage"

Last edited by Classic30; 04-12-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome