SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I own a CS27, smaller sister to Maine Sail's CS36T. Both boats, as well as all other CS boats were built with all through bolted deck hardware bedded with good quality butyl. The hull'deck joint was butyl bedded as well. All original deck hardware on my boat is still leak free - the issues were items installed by previous owners using silicone or other sealants. On any item I have removed, like the forward hatch I replaced, the original (35 year old!) butyl was still doing its job. The adjacent balsa was bone dry and the hatch was hard to remove.

If it needs a primer it is not good butyl.
Problem is there are literally HUNDREDS of products out there with the term "butyl" in the description and this leads to lots of confusion, and inferior or poor performing products for the job.

Please do not use a primer if using Bed-It Butyl Tape just clean the deck and fitting and install.......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 04-11-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook