SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bay sailor needed - Deale to Quantico, VA
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Bay sailor needed - Deale to Quantico, VA

I've done this trip any number of times -- usually between Annapolis and DC.

There is a significant difference between a cruise and delivery. My thoughts are from the perspective of a delivery skipper. Move the boat, don't break anything.

Radar would be nice - not required.

AIS would be nicer yet - not required.

Thoughts in no particular order --

Sailing at night is easier than during the day. Almost everything you care about has a light on it and the biggest risks--recreational sailors--are pretty much not out. Good charts and/or a chart plotter make a big difference. Your best tools are your eyes, your depth sounder, your ears, and your nose. Eyes are obvious. If your depth sounder says the water depth is different than the charts say for where you think you are then you aren't where you think you are. Fish traps attract birds - birds make noise - you can hear the birds. Fish traps often smell also. Pay attention to your senses at night.

Single-handed I'd get on the boat as early as possible Friday evening and go to bed. I'd get up early and push straight through as far as I can, probably Nomini Bay or Cobb Island. Of the stops noted I think Solomon's is too short (not to say I haven't done that on owner-aboard deliveries). St Mary's is too far up the river and a waste of nearly three hours on your boat. Smith Creek is fine.

Two-up with qualified crew I'd sail straight through, as was suggested before. Marinas are a time waste unless you need fuel. The check-in and check-out process eats time that you aren't moving the boat.

Make sure you have enough fuel onboard to make the whole run non-stop. You should be able to make this whole run in 30 hours or less - probably a lot less unless you have Southerlies all the way down the Bay.

Do you have binoculars?

Different people have different sleep cycles and needs. Don't push yourself. Still, once you get going as long as you have meals set up for yourself it's pretty easy to keep going.

Standing watches can be pretty cool. Recognize that the most important thing about watches is for the off-watch to be rested.

I'm in Annapolis. If you want to drop by and walk through charts and talk about bailouts and watch schedules and meal plans I'm happy to do that. First round is on you. *grin*
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook