SailNet Community - View Single Post - What strategy do you employ when using a drogue
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: What strategy do you employ when using a drogue

I have only been on a boat once coming back from Falmouth England where it was necessary to deploy a drogue, therefore my experience is very limited.

The drogue we deployed was done to drastically reduce speed when it was necessary to keep the boat from getting away from you speed wise surfing down waves and keep you relatively perpendicular to the waves . We used ours in a large storm and were really not concerned with progress to a destination. We mainly used it to run with the waves and keep us in line with them as they were not breaking.

Using a drogue as a speed limiting device when making passageway is a whole other kettle of fish. I know that there specialty designed speed limiting series drogues for this purpose and they are designed differently and may have multiple layers, chutes, holes for resistance.

I do remember the retrieving the drogue was an arduous task.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook