SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI to Annapolis
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 04-12-2013
capta
Master Mariner

Re: BVI to Annapolis

My preference in that voyage is to sail toward the Northeast/Northwest Providence channel in the Bahamas, then through it and ride the stream north. On my last voyage in 2010, VI to Charleston direct, I was a bit too far east and we had no wind at all for the entire voyage.
By sailing just east of the Bahamas you can pick up a bit of "local affect" wind, which is caused by the shallows in the Bahamas heating up, creating a bit more breeze. However, this route does run one very close to if not over Silver Bank and quite near the T&C. This isn't so much a problem today, with GPS, but in the days of celestial navigation, it was of some concern.
Riding the stream around Hatteras can be a blast or a horror, depending on your luck, but again, today accurate weather forecasting is widely available, and there are plenty of places to wait out a northerly on the US coast.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome