SailNet Community - View Single Post - Exhaust Manifold Flooding with Cooling Water
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013

Rusty123 is on a distinguished road
Re: Exhaust Manifold Flooding with Cooling Water

So I called to order the SpeedSeal (the US number still connects you to the UK). Turns out that my 2QM15 had two different pumps over the years, one of which they sell a plate for, and the other they do not. So I've got to do some measuring.

But that made me remember a discussion I had with Sen-Dure (previous makers of a fresh water conversion kit for this engine -- see separate thread for details), in which it was recommended that a fresh water pump (if added) be electrical, and mounted to the bulkhead.

I don't think I'll be making the fresh water conversion, but I got to wondering -- why not convert my raw water pump to electrical? Along with making the impeller much more accessible, it would also give me the ability to turn the pump on and off from the engine panel. That way, the cranking/flooding issue is eliminated, because I wouldn't turn the pump on until after the engine starts. Might offer other advantages for engine flushing, etc.

Downside would be lower system reliability, since engine functionality would depend on battery or alternator.

Anyone ever heard of doing this? Any downsides I'm missing?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook