SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ever been injured on your boat? Just happened to me.
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013

Bob142 is on a distinguished road
Re: Ever been injured on your boat? Just happened to me.

I own an older Macgregor 25 with a drop down keel.... the winch never had a brake which I thought was a bad design... (but normal)... So sailing off of South beach on Savory Island when it was time to lower the keel I turned head to the wind and tied the rudder... went below and untied the winch handle... either a boat wake or a wind shift moved the bow off the wind ...boat layed over hard pulling the winch handle out of my hand...handle started to spin really fast...a whole lot of iron headed for the fiberglass bottom... I know it is going to hurt but the handle has to be stopped... four smacks to the hand and I got it under control...One of the hits tried to take the end off of my middle finger...finish lowering the keel and back up to resume sailing ...untie the rudder and ajust the sail...then dip my hand in the water and wrap with a towel...by then the cockpit looked like a murder scene...sail back to lund ...tie up...drive to Powell River and get stiches...still a little sensitive to cold...The keel winch now has a gear winch...stop turning ...the winch stops...

Any storm in a port...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook