SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Maltese Falcon versus Meteor

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Are you attempting to argue that the benefits back then, when cotton were used for sailcloth, should somehow translate into good saildesign today? That because it was an advantage back then to have smaller squares of cloth, then that same thing would be beneficial today? Even if most on the Maltese Falcon is carbon fibre, it still a sorts of square rigger with the extra weight up on top, compared to the modern rig of Meteor, which has far less weight and hardware (carbon fibre and dyneema) up on top.

Why would you expect a square rigger, even made with modern materials to outpace everything out there, because "centuries ago, they made them for the trade winds"? (Yes, I'm paraphrasing a bit).

I say this, while I actually like that rig a lot. It's beautiful to me (the rig, that is), but I wouldn't expect it to be as good as a more modern rig, utilising the benefits of modern sail cloth.

No, you are missing the point. Before square rigs were a technological advantage, they made sailboats perform better, then with the advent of big downwind sails that advantage disappeared.

Today a square rig performs not as well as a modern rig, even a very modern one like the one on Falcon Maltese is no exception, so why use it? just because someone finds it beautiful? It don't make sense to me. It is like someone using a full keel because he finds full keels beautiful: Both things are anachronisms and have no place on a modern boat.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 04-12-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook