SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dousing a cruising asym without blowing the tack?
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Dousing a cruising asym without blowing the tack?

Peter.. I think it's true that 'tacking' the tack to the forestay makes the sail more stable and is esp good when beam reaching. Jack's shackle idea is a good one, allowing you to blow the tack despite having the tack line attached/hanked to the forestay but it does require a crew to go forward to open the shackle - that may not fit into your scenario.

As I've said we do not attach the tack to the forestay and have been able to make good use of that sail, I do think you need to pay more attention to tack line tension, however, and ultimately it probably limits just how close to the wind we can get with it. But by then you're probably better off with a jib/genny anyhow.

Anyhow you might give it a try, make sure your tack line is long enough to get the foot of the sail back into the cockpit and simply stuff cloth down the companionway as you douse. We try to follow the same method we use for the Symm. i.e., blow the tack, gather the foot and lower the sail in the lee of the main under the boom in a 'tube', so to speak.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook