SailNet Community - View Single Post - O'Day DS or Flying Scot?
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013

tri413 is on a distinguished road
Re: O'Day DS or Flying Scot?

I have owned and raced a Flying Scot for over 7 years. And since I bought a fixer-upper (I'm #1 on Google "Balsa Repair"), I know quite a bit about factory support and construction.

Over the last 7 years, the scot fleet at GRSA.org (Richmond, VA) has doubled to approximately 35 boats, while the DS fleet has vanished (they don't even have a start anymore).

I spent a very long day sailing a DS in our club point to point race and quickly realized that the scot is far more comfortable. I'm pretty sure just as many DS have been capsized at our club (though in truth we avg less than 1/yr). T

The cockpit design of the DS puts a lot of weight in the stern so if you sail with more than two people, it is pretty slow in a DS. Last weekend we had our family of 5 sitting comfortably on the windward bench in our scot and hit 8.5 mph. The scot is the perfect family boat!

I've trailered my scot a few times and do not really enjoy the 20 minute setup, but I can't think of a comparable boat that is much easier. I trailer it with a minivan or station wagon and it pulls easily.

If you enjoy racing, the scot fleet is VERY competitive (several sailmakers race in NAs) but without the "arms race" that DS fleet has. The scot one-design is very restrictive and I appreciate it. One several occasions I have matched boat speed with district champs in my 50 year old #338 and the builder still races and wins with hull #1.

I could recommend a scot more strongly. If you can, try to sail both boats and see what you like better.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook