SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do you wish you had known before buying your first boat?
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013

cthoops is on a distinguished road
What do you wish you had known before buying your first boat?

Mr. cthoops and I started sailing last year (after sailing when we were kids) and we've been bitten hard. So much so that tomorrow we have appointments to start looking for our first sailboat.

Our budget is $5,000 or less and we're looking for something in the 24' - 27' range. Outboard engine only, portapotty only. We want to be able to sleep on it for a few nights, but we're trying to keep it simple here. Kind of like tent camping, but on the water.

Anyway, the only thing I've ever bought used is our house and we don't have a lot of experience so I'm a bit apprehensive about this whole process. We have the Don Casey book and will be doing the quick 30-minute survey for our first visit to each boat. I'm looking for any tips or thoughts re: what you wish you had known before you went looking for your first boat. From what I can gather, it looks like we should make at least one visit to see a boat and never offer full asking price. Anything else?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook