SailNet Community - View Single Post - would you buy a 44ft wooden power boat for 10k?
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: would you buy a 44ft wooden power boat for 10k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkOnyx488 View Post
So we have an opportunity to purchase our first boat. we are looking for something we can live abroad and travel with. We know someone selling a wooden boat that was built in 1966.

Should we stick to fiberglass. Or is Wooden ok? We are brand new to boat ownership. My brother in-law who has a few boats said no way, wood rots.

So what do you guys think? We are not in any rush to own a boat just yet. But for under 10k for a 44ft boat it's tempting.

however, the boat is currently on land, so I don't think we would be able to test drive it.
Absolutely yes, if you want to ensure you lose all interest in boats for the rest of your life and destroy your financial position in the bargain.

Unless you are wealthy, you couldn't afford that boat even if it was free. The fuel it would drink is beyond your imagining - easily 20-30 gallons per hour

You have a good B in Law there - listen to him.

Two thumbs down.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook