SailNet Community - View Single Post - would you buy a 44ft wooden power boat for 10k?
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Re: would you buy a 44ft wooden power boat for 10k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Absolutely yes, if you want to ensure you lose all interest in boats for the rest of your life and destroy your financial position in the bargain.

Unless you are wealthy, you couldn't afford that boat even if it was free. The fuel it would drink is beyond your imagining - easily 20-30 gallons per hour

You have a good B in Law there - listen to him.

Two thumbs down.
Actually, if you're really lucky it can be 20+ gallons EACH engine.

I was dialing in some settings on a big bayliner and looked at the fuel readouts while I was tweaking a response from the system(integrating thrusters and engines into a computer controlled system), and they were showing 22.4 and 25 gallons respectively.

I actually went in on a 43' wooden power-boat, it had a recent 100, 000$ refit, brand new teak decks, brand new interior etc. Never out in the rain since and came with a boathouse, already in the water... Paid 10 cents on the dollar for the refit and still would have lost money if we hadn't caught the bottom issues that were being concealed at the last minute. This boat has none of those upsides and a whole lot of downsides... I can't see it being anything except a fantastic drain of energy and money.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook