SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do you wish you had known before buying your first boat?
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: What do you wish you had known before buying your first boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderGuy View Post
Also, I wouldn't say never offer the asking price. Offer what you think it's worth based on comparisons to the market, your budget, etc. Some people do actually *gasp* offer there boat for a reasonable price, and get annoyed when everyone want's to offer less, just because. (Yep, personal experience here)

I've also seen people blow great deals, cause the owner priced it to sell, but they haggled around, and someone else came in with the reasonable asking price offer.

But on the flip side, if they are a little high you think, don;t be afraid to offer less, or if it's just out of your budget, offer what you can, it can't hurt.
Don't be afraid to low ball. All they can do is say no. And, a lot of people really need to unload their boat.

And, accept the fact that some people just don't know what there boat is worth in today's market. I bought my last boat three years ago and I had it narrowed down to ten boats (all over forty feet which are really hard to sell right now).

Three years later, every one of the ones I was looking at, are still for sale. I probably could have bought my boat for a lot less than I paid for it, (and I thought I was low balling at the time). Lots of sellers, not many buyers, out there right now.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook