SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do you wish you had known before buying your first boat?
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013

Tanley is on a distinguished road
Re: What do you wish you had known before buying your first boat?

Maybe think about how you'll use the boat and where you think you'll be 3-5 years from now (relative to sailing). Do you really need to own a boat now, or could your needs be met by joining a sailing club? The size you're looking at is common for a lot of clubs and the process of selling in order to move up down the road isn't always trivial.

If you want to be on the water on a whim during the week and every weekend, probably buying your own boat is the way to go. We're on our boat about 4-5 days a week during the season. Not always sailing, but either working on it, socializing after work or actually sailing. For us, this meant buying a boat and we started modestly to make sure it was what we expected. Turned out to better. We have friends that went the sailing club route and it's perfect for them. There's a lot of "extra" stuff that goes along with boat ownership - maintenance, time, storage, cost, hurricanes, etc.

Really like Alex's post:

"I wish I had known how much I'd like sailing, so that I would have felt comfortable buying a larger/nicer/more expensive boat in the first place"

Knowing what we do now, we would have gone bigger and invested more up front but we wanted to be sure before making that larger investment. Guess that's what "the next boat" is for.

Oh, and take lots of pictures when you're looking at all these boats so you can review them at home. You'll be surprised what you miss in person at first, and you'll both get better at boat shopping as the process progresses.

Good luck, exciting times

Last edited by Tanley; 04-14-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook