SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road
Re: What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?

I took a couple friends out in my Chrysler LS 13. I had sailed about on my own and this was my first trip with passengers. Three people on the little boat was probably too much, heading down river on a windless day wasn't very smart, but it wasn't the boneheaded move.

On the boat there are twin keels that lock in place for trailering. I forgot that for some reason.

Launch the boat, everyone is... and I shove off. When I raise the sail, instead of cutting on a tangent ('A Tangent' was the name of the boat) into the wind...it just drifted towards the dock.

O, the keel, I instantly realized and tried to put one down, but it would go.

"We must be stuck on a sandbar" I announced and proceeded to jump over the side --- in the believe I was going to land in a foot of water.

I landed in seven feet of water.

Fortunately I had my hands on the side of the boat. I totally extended underwater, leaving my hat floating on the water and my hands in a death grip.

I yanked myself back up, in one motion, by chance landing my hat on my head.

Looking over...I saw two people suffering from internal injuries trying not to laugh.

"Go ahead and laugh, it's funny," I barked in a none too happy voice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook