Hello again. The weather has finally turned to sunny 17 degrees and I've managed to get some work done on "Rockhopper". The hatch is fully off now:
I have since managed to scrape off all the existing "Bondo". At most places it came off the original gelcoat with little resistance. At the top, where the deck was "remodelled" to have space for the hinges most of the pink filler has gone as well. You might be able to see the 2 x 1 cm hole in the right top corner of the opening ... worrysome ? This goes straight into the topside. I was going to take another picture since, but of course my mobile ran out of juice at that very moment.
I am now left with a step around most sides of the hatch opening of 4-8 mms. Most of the hatch frame was actually supported by filler ! At some places the holes for the bolts are now exposed along their side ... The hatch frame of the Lewmar hatch and the cutout in the deck certainly do not match
This is going to take some effort to sort out !
Still, lots of sunshine, finally, and the best of South East English spring !!! Managed to get some other things done as well in preparation for the new season and met some nice people at the marina. Can't really complain
BTW I've got some really good "silicone eater" that I stocked up with when a diy chain here changed suppliers. It is non toxic and smells of oranges ! So no problem getting rid of any silicone thats left. Thanks, Richard, for the link on Sailing Anarchy ... I will take all my courage together and visit their site