SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wish I Had The Boat Builder/Dealer Do It!
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013

opc11 is on a distinguished road
Wish I Had The Boat Builder/Dealer Do It!

Within the next 5 years I want to be on a blue water capable boat circumnavigating. In the meantime, I am READING A TON and taking copious notes.

I grew up sailing and racing small dinghies and every once in a while i'll rent a boat in CA for the weekend for some solo sailing just to keep the mind fresh. I would like to eventually spend a season crewing/deliveries to help build my "wants" lists and learn what I do and don't like in particular designs.

For those of you that have bought new boats, I was wondering if you had any thoughts about what you had the builder install vs what you decided to install yourself.

Was this decision a monetary one (cheaper to do it yourself)? An experienced based decision (I want to know my boat better)? Other?

If you could do it over again, what else would you have asked the builder to take care of?

On a side note, I'd like to thank all the contributions made day in and day out by soooo many. You're not just helping other boater owners; you're helping the sport and the lifestyle! Thank you!

paul
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook