SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wish I Had The Boat Builder/Dealer Do It!
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Wish I Had The Boat Builder/Dealer Do It!

It may not be happening now, but start looking now, as the boat you want/need may be a year or three out.
As far as your clinical opinion of a "reasonable timeline":
Five years is not a "reasonable timeline.'
ask anyone who bought a house in 2008, expecting it's value to double in 5 years.
setting a schedule to find the right boat is like planing the timeline to find your true love: It happens when it happens.
So, you might as well prepare like it will happen tomorrow.
Which may be why you see more CPA's golfing than sailing.
You build skills by doing, not by planning.

That's all. Simple.

I get where you are coming from: You have a plan to wind down your dirt life, find the very best boat for your needs, balancing your current net worth and income potential against the projected and expected cost of a vessel and the incidental costs incurred.

My wife and I made our decisions based on our goals and adapted our needs to fit our goals,somewhat.

In 2007 we were dissatisfied with our lives, with children growing apart, working 60-70 hours a week to maintain a lifestyle we were too tired to enjoy, filled with crap that simply didn't, and still doesn't, matter.
In 2008 my wife sailed for the first time, and discovered she liked it. I doscovered that i needed to be on the water again, because...
In 2008 we both had health scares.
Having your spouse's (might be, maybe, we need more tests) life expectancy laid out in clinically ambiguous terms makes you re-evaluate the folly of "five year plans."
Today my wife has a clean bill of health..
But, we still live like we're dying.
if we didn't , we wouldn't have a boat, or a life outside of redecorating a place which we now inhabit abouyt six months a year.

And we did it for about the cost of two charters.
frankly, if circumnavigating is our goal, purchasing a new boat is a bad, bad investment. You'd be 10s of thousands of dollars ahead buying a boat that has already been there, done that. Someone else has already bought the AP, windvane. solar panels, etc., etc., .. . so yo don't have to, and they will sell it to your for half price or less.

I'm sorry, i missed the part in our first post about you wishing to buy a new boat. we didn't have the times or funds for that.
Still don't.
So i apologize if our experience is not relevant to you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bljones; 04-14-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook