SailNet Community - View Single Post - pintle/gudgeon supplier?
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013

asdf38 is on a distinguished road
Re: pintle/gudgeon supplier?

That looks fantastic John,

I'm jealous of the fact that you had so much time - on the other hand I did sail last year .

That looks like a good system with the bilge pump. Currently I have just a non-automatic electric pump that's mounted up above with a hose going down. Yep the bilge is surprisingly deep. Last winter I got the wet dry vac hose down there and sucked out 30 years worth of dropped hardware.

How hard was it to remove the handrails? I assume they're through bolted all the way through to the interior rails right? How well were things sealed up there?

How long did the paint job take overall? My paint job wasn't done great to begin with by the P.O. (didn't remove deck hardware) and is probably 5-8 years old by now

So as for my pintle and gudgeons the yard, a one man operation, had originally suggested a delrin shim exactly as you did but changed his mind after closer inspection. I'm willing to trust him on that. So we're getting pintles and gudgeons from Jeremy Rogers in England, the original Contessa builder whose back up and running doing refurbs, building Contessa 32's and supplying old 26 parts (although not everything matches between the british and canadian versions).

I'll be going to the boat and talking to the yard tomorrow about the rudder and I think I'll just put in the 3rd (which also means moving the upper one as I assume you did). What made you decide to do it? I considered it because I'd seen it suggested online and I know J.J. Taylor added the 3rd in the 80's when they did their minor redesign.

My other main project this year is a total replacement of the head which I'll be doing myself and either a repitch of my 2-blade prop (hopefully) or perhaps a new 3 blade. I know the yanmar should net me more than 3.5 knots. I'm also quoting a new mainsail and will probably just pull the trigger on that (I'm avoiding the headsail because I don't want to commit hank-on or consider roller furling yet. Personally I love the hank-on simplicity right now)

Anyway, good to hear from you. I'll post back about my pintle gudgeon experience when it's over.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook