SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wish I Had The Boat Builder/Dealer Do It!
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Wish I Had The Boat Builder/Dealer Do It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc11 View Post
bljones,

by all means that was a great post. thank you for the insight.

...thanks for the input!
Thanks for your thanks. Look, I readily admit to being a bottom feeder, scornful of all things shiny and new, but...

Dude, no one enjoys maintenance. It is however, a necessary evil, on boats both new and old. But buying a new boat adds a new wrinkle to this mildewed bedspread.
Buying a new boat is not like buying a new car. Nay, rather than simply turning the key and enjoying the efforts of QC and R&D and the benefits of a design penned for the consumption of the unwashed to the tune of hundreds of thousands of units, Instead, it is like buying a new software program created by a respected codeslinger who, alas, has never quite done this before, and you might experience a few bugs and glitches and it may lock up and freeze and not work and hey, it's okay, cuz we'll fix it, and this is just part of the deal when you are an early adopter...
So, you get to be the guinea pig on your very own 6 figure floating home, attempting to figure out how to integrate all of the systems, and/or paying others to make it all work, on your dime and on your time....
or you can buy a five year old boat where someone else has already taken the depreciation hit and figured out how to get all of the systems tacked on to the boat to work together. the systems all work,the bugs are debugged and you are, more or less, ready to go, at a lower price point. less money spent on a boat that is more ready to go means more time away from the grind, sooner.
If you don't like maintenance, i humbly suggest that a worldlap is not for you, since 26000+ miles over saltwater will entail a crapload of maintenance, usually when you least expect it, and usually when it is both most inconvenient and most expensive to accomplish.

I fully understand not enjoying ALL of the maintenance... but the more you spend on paying others to do things you should know how to do yourself, the less time you get to spend away from the grind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook